A Briton managed to escape from her burning house in Aude after an explosion in her kitchen rocked the neighboring neighborhood.
At 9:03 p.m., Friday, October 22, residents of the village of Bellegarde-du-Razès – southwest of Carcassonne – were disturbed by the sound of an explosion coming from the house of a British couple recently installed in the region.
Every window in the house shattered, shards of glass landing all around.
About 25 firefighters from Montreal and Limoux arrived in three fire trucks shortly after the explosion, accompanied by two ambulances.
Emergency physicians from the Mobile Emergency and Resuscitation Service were also dispatched to the site with a helicopter from the Samu 31 in Toulouse.
“At first there was a huge explosion, followed by several smaller ones,” said a resident who lives near the house. “It was shocking: flames were rising through the torn open roof. “
The British woman was the only person inside the house at the time and was able to get out on her own. However, his clothes had caught fire.
“I immediately went to get a blanket to cover her and put out the flames on her body,” the neighbor added.
The deputy mayor of the village, Jean-Marie Chapput and Marc Lemonier also approached the house to offer their help.
They said the woman was able to stay upright and a local nurse took care of her while they waited for emergency services to arrive.
The woman, who is around 60, suffered severe burns all over her body. She was treated on site and then taken to the town of Belvèze-du-Razès, where the helicopter was waiting for her.
She was then treated in the burns service of the Rangueil hospital in Toulouse.
The gendarmes have since carried out investigations on the house in order to understand what happened.
Their first findings suggest the woman was alone in her kitchen when a pocket of gas exploded at the flick of a switch.
The investigation is continuing.
France to test a single emergency call number from 2022